Sunday, 23 September 2012

Busy Spring!

Set of 3 birds - each A5 size - commission

Set of 3 tulips - each A4 size - commission
Spotted Pardalote
Just some progress pictures. I've completed a commission and have it ready to post off today, each piece in it's own neat celophane bag. I think they look much nicer in real life than on the scans. The birds are on medium surface Arches paper, which has a slight roughness to it, while the tulips are on smooth (hot pressed) Arches paper, which is velvety flat and gives quite a different finish.

A spotted pardalote, this one on the smooth. I have to stop myself getting too detailed on the smooth paper, with a tiny brush it's possible to paint each feather fibre. I try to keep the birds a little loose and focus on the main features.

News on the honeyeater nest - we checked it a couple of days ago and it was empty. We hope the babies were big enough to move somewhere safer, but more than likely they've been taken by a bigger bird or some other predator. A little bit sad.

While I was away in Sydney on the weekend, Andy spotted two new birds, a scarlet honeyeater which is smaller even than the spinebills, and a golden whistler I think it was, yellow with a black hood. 

It seems certain now that I'll have a stand at the pilot Shoalhaven Artisans Market next month, so the next few weeks will be all about preparing for that, mounting watercolours and working out how to display them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment