Monday, 10 September 2012

Yellow-faced Honeyeater

Yellow-faced Honeyeater - sketches of a dead bird
At least once a day while I'm at my desk, a bird will slam into our glass sliding doors. Sometimes I'll look up to see a couple of feathers floating down in the wake of the accident, cartoon-style. But today a bad thing happened. The bird in question hit the deck stunned and did not get up again. I thought for a while she'd knocked herself out and would eventually come round, but I soon began to realise that the little kicks I'd witnessed were the last seconds of her being.

Of all the challenges for a small bird in this world, why should this way be her end? We obviously need to make our place safer for the free-wheeling creatures around here.

While I was making these sketches a reiki master on an elephant hunt came to the door wanting to buy our garden statues. She said there is no such thing as co-incidence. However I did not sell her our elephants.


No comments:

Post a Comment