Wednesday, 9 January 2013

Shoalhaven Artisans Market Saturday 12 Jan 2013

The weather has been hot enough this week to get us clearing our gutters and moving any stored timber away from the house. Like everyone in the Shoalhaven and Illawarra, we received phone messages about the catastrophic fire danger. We filled our ponds and bird baths and kept the chickens in, in case we needed to leave in a hurry. 

I worked my first day at the Millhouse Gallery in Milton, luckily the highway was open, as it has been closed for some time since then due to a large fire around Sussex Inlet Road. 

The gallery sold another of my watercolours, but I have not been down to deliver the replacement as yet.

A large proportion of my time is going toward developing some canvases, in preparation for an Easter exhibition in Ulladulla. This is a dream and a struggle. I've uploaded a progress photo of one piece I'm working on, which has lots of layers of paint, paper and medium. Many artists I speak to say that working in watercolours is difficult, and that acrylics are easier because any problems can be simply painted over. For me the reverse is true, I love the freshness and simplicity of watercolours and I love everything they do, the weird little cauliflower blooms and the way the pigment flows. I enjoy acrylics too and like working on a canvas structure, but I am never quite happy with what I've done, and therefore never finished. Anyway, I'm sure it's something I can learn, so I'm immersing myself until I do.

This Saturday I'll be at the Artisans Market at the Arts Centre in Nowra, which will be good as I missed last month. No new watercolours, but I still have plenty of stock and some lovely art journals.




No comments:

Post a Comment