So version 3 I made the bird a little smaller and sheared a bit off the head to taper more toward the beak, but I felt he looked like half of a larger kind of bird so I added 3 large wired 'feathers'. Again feeding the twisted wire legs through the fabric was tricky as the wire kept snagging.
|Bird 4 with gum nut beak|
Feeling I needed to try a new head shape, for version 4 I eliminated the head gusset and extended the tummy gusset to incorporate the tail. Scouring the garage for an appropriate beak, I found a gum nut in a tub of nails which I thought might work. It looks ok but was difficult to keep in place with the springy polyester filling. Leg wiring experiments went a bit astray. The head looked too long and the bird seemed to have a bit of a goitre that bothered me. I began to think of how i could make a beak that could be stitched in place whilst stitching the eye.
|Bird 6 with modelling clay beak|
By version 6 I had moulded purpose-designed modelling-clay beaks with a hole to stitch in place between the eyes. The beak is particularly difficult to position while stuffing. You can't really imagine the tiny scale this is all on till you get your big fumbling fingers in there.
Also a cunning plan to incorporate the tail and leg wire adds a bit more leg stability as well as reinforcing the look of a wren which I was after.
I now have a saucer of legs and beaks right to go and can start producing the finished 'product' with variations on the tail and wing colours. Meanwhile the bird Addams family are assembled under the lamp on my sideboard and look very sweet despite their various quirks.