Saturday, 19 October 2013

Christmas Cards and Scented Candles

I just wanted to show the process of making one of my paper-cut christmas cards. I print the design onto card, put on the big glasses, find some decent light, and then cut out all the negative shapes. After taking each piece away I can't resist holding up the card and seeing how delightfully lacy it looks. When it's all cut out, I string it on silver thread. I cut a greeting card to fit an envelope and fold it, and then I print a sheet of adhesive with "merry christmas" which I cut to use as stickers to hold the paper-cut ornament it on the front of the card.





 This weekend I finally got a chance to make up some scented soy candles. I bought the wax, wicks and fragrances a little while ago from Natural Candle Supply who are in Matraville, Sydney - where I've spent so much of my adult life - but these days I'm far enough to have it delivered. I chose soy wax with the influence of my daughter, who refuses to use any animal product at all, even wool or bees wax. The containers I've been gathering from op shops over the last few weeks, and have found some nice little glasses just right for the job. Because the shop in Huskisson can be a little dusty especially in windy weather, I thought it would be nice to make up some boxes for them, so I drew up a diecut, added some soft, minimal elements in Illustrator, and printed them on A4 210gsm card. A lot of cutting, glueing, wax-melting, but they look and smell very nice. The house smells great too. The scents are Persia, Vanilla Bean, Chai Latte and still to come is Mango and White Tea!



1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete