Tuesday, 20 May 2014

Ships and Signs and Six

Have you made a paper boat lately? They are so elegantly simple, flip and turn like little magicians and then snap themselves into form at the end with surprising ease. I made these ones for Art in the Park, they've got little quotes about boats and the sea scrawled on them and little bits of nature-y things attached. Im not even going to pretend I don't use the word "nature-y" any more.


 This is a number 6 painted on a canvas in acrylics. I left construction lines on and did some smearing for an industrial sort of look. I also have a number 3 available. 

Did you make tissue paper flowers when you were a kid? These ones are made from 3 sheets of concertina folded tissue paper about 50cm long. Then a shaped the ends with scissors, dipped them in tea, and left them to dry. I really can't imagine life without tea... Anyhow, then you just wind some wire around the middle and tease out all the layers of tissue GENTLY. Have you ever had pet mice or rats? The sound of separating the layers reminds me so much of little critters nesting, and the little finger movements required are probably fairly similar, so if you want to get in touch with your inner rodent...
How pretty they are is a real joy to me, and I chucked them in the picture when i was shooting this sign I just finished for a customer (fingers crossed, hope they like it!), and also a bunch of native grass Andy just happened to prune from the garden ("Do you want this?" he asks).

Here's the sign sitting on my kitchen breakfast bar. I'm a bit embarrassed about the chest of drawers being there. It's on the way out, but there was no other space to put it. I bought it for my daughter but the drawers jam, so I found her a better one at the tip for $5. There was a handle missing so I had to buy a handle from Bunnings for $6.20, and it matches nicely. Anyhow the old one is still hanging around and I'm thinking of transferring some kind of image or design onto it. So that's why it's still there. Sigh.
Anyhow the sign is made from old fence palings and painted in acrylic. I do pretty dodgy wood-working, so Andy is making some more sign-things for me to paint on. 


No comments:

Post a Comment