Sunday, 8 June 2014

Winter wood

Shorter days, less precious hours of natural light, icy breezes in the big Emporium roller-door, and the light is so cool now in my pictures. Weather for warm soups and various teas in pretty teapots, cake on lovely old plates, curling up with a good book. 

I found this little old trolly dumped in the bush at the back of our place and was going to repaint it - but the sanded-back blue had perfect wintery tones and I pulled pages out of one of our old books to gussy up the tray areas and then wrote "books" on the side. Signs and stencilling seems to be a theme at the moment. It looks so sweet in the shop with a little bunch of grasses sitting on it. If I had endless free hours, I would love to draw and record every kind of grass in our little bit of bush. There are so many and all quite different, with their lovely various seed heads and thickness of stem and wildness of leaves.

I made some more paper-cut pieces and framed them in comforting colours, with tea-stained backing to contrast the white. These two are quite small and detailed. 'Tea' is only 10cm across and 'big dreams' is about 15cm. They are cut from one sheet of 110 gsm cardstock with a very sharp and pointy little knife. Both are my original designs which I have created on the computer, then print out in reverse and hand-cut.

I've been making signs and embellishing some collected little timber things, somewhat prompted by complaints from Andy about how long the pile has been sitting in the way. The clutter of my various projects is a lot to bare for our little house at times. There is a wonderful tray I have "tiled" with the little timber wedges supplied with artists' canvases, and wound string around the handles; there's a little key cabinet with a map and numbers printed with stamps from my childhood. I've forgotten to photograph them and sent them into the Emporium already... I will have to bring them home and take some pictures before they sell.





No comments:

Post a Comment