Friday, 13 June 2014

Working with Wood

This week I've been working with some  lovely old timber things, renewing their spirits and  giving them a fresh chance at life. The little key cabinet has a map in the prettiest colours, and is lined inside with old book pages. The key hooks are stamped with numbers from an old stamp set I grew up with.


A letter-holder or remote control holder in a pale blue, I matched up with maps of the antarctic.


 A tray "tiled" with those timber wedges that are supplied when you buy a canvas to paint on. I feel like I should know what to do with those things, but they've just been accumulating in a drawer, and have now found a new home.


A lovely old tray, which looks like it's had a lot of handling and use, embellished with a print of a bird-themed sheet music. I white-washed the timber to freshen it up a bit, and then gave the lot a coat of clear polyurethane finish.


Painted for a store in Nowra in the Kinghorn Traders. An inspired idea - to paint on the back of a found mirror. Instant rustic, chalk-board style signage!


After a (bad) full day on Wednesday trying to make my shop area look orderly - and manage neat stock storage - to no avail, Andy has built me a beautiful new display system which we delivered in a whirlwind today before he drove to Bulahdelah.
I've finished making a neat calico cover for the huge table, which will sit nicely with the fence paling islands, which eventually I'd like to white wash... but will remain natural aged timber for now. I'm very excited about the extra display space and (gasp!) storage underneath.
Also I've allocated myself a desk workspace and would like to hang my shingle there: graphic design, illustration, paper crafts, fine art. And actually have some work in progress happening! Trying to get a bit more of a workshop/artisan feel to my little area.
I found the cutest little old blue-painted timber chair (at the tip), which needed mending - so it's glued, clamped and strapped in the garage til Monday. So sweet, I so hope the glue holds, it's really chair-love with this one, it will be my desk-seat if all goes well.

No comments:

Post a Comment